WE HAVE THE LIVING ROOM FLOOR AGAIN! :D
I finally got around on Monday to re-arrange my repair shelf and boxed up things and made two shelves free for WIP pieces. (Darn this nasty habit of doing things half-way and leaving it open) The husband is happy, and the pieces aren’t exposed to the spiders and dust bunnies looking for homes!
Currently on the shelf there’s a Olivetti Lettera 82 that is into its fourth month of being left open. I’ve finally ordered the supplies I require to finish this piece and given it a well deserved dunk and soak in the sink, so hopefully in time the finished piece will be worth the procrastination. The Tom Thumb toy typewriter also got a thorough clean.
Nightfall came and I decided to tackle that Remington Envoy III. The ribbon vibrator had ceased to function and had a few other minor problems… I had a problem of taking the body apart for some reason and left it with the other machines in the pile. I wrote about this awhile ago here. (oh man, that was almost two months ago. Meeeeep sorry K!)
Scott you were right, the top half did come off and BAM, I was in.
The outer body went straight to the sink for a scrub and the innards got a good scrub which righted the ribbon vibrator.
Sparkly clean and back with its owner now, hooray!
Today: I think it was the rediscovered courage from this week’s fixings that I dared to open this Underwood 3 bank Portable up.
The escapement choked there for some reason, and all it needed is a little bit of lube and coaxing and it was flying again.
When I first received Tryp I thought the serial number was 8238 (which I can’t find now) and then I found this on the underside of the machine. Either numbers put Tryp in 1920 – 1921 (according to the awesome Typewriter Database that Ted has worked tiredlessly to put together, thanks Ted! :)) which makes her a rather grand ole’ machine.
She’s not 100% yet, the return carriage lever is not really working and there’s a persistent squeak in the carriage lift. I have yet to find some cleaner wax either, so that’s that to do still… and polish all the chrome.
After I packed Tryp away I had a small revelation:
Sure it took me a whole year to get her going, but oh wow… It’s been an awesome year and a bit learning how to repair typewriters. There’s heaps more to learn, and I can’t wait. I’ve only come this far because of the Typosphere – so THANK YOU TYPOSPHERE for being so darned awesome in offering help and teaching me all the how-to’s!
Alrighty, time to get going on those letters. I start my new job tomorrow, so I don’t have as much time as I thought I would have to tend to the pile. There’s more letters and cards to be made too, September is a black hole for birthdays – it’s all so bizarre.
Have a great week everyone :)
Partially written on a Underwood 3 bank Portable that is learning how to live again.