Feed Roller Replacement – The Mjölnir Method



Look how flat that issss.

So here’s how I did it:
Feed Roller Replacement – The Mjölnir Method
Materials required: Rubber hosing of the right size, WD40, Hammer, pen knives/cutters, self-healing mat, rags.
1. Remove affected piece by removing the platen or what may have you.
2. Measure the rubber hosing to the original piece and cut to size cleanly with a cutter.
3. Strip the old rubber from the metal casing. I used a pen knife and cut strips off lengthwise (so start from the top and go all the way down) then remove the remaining bits of the old rubber by soaking it in WD40 and rubbing it off with a rag.
4. If it helps: Make note of where the rubber piece should sit – use a marker if you have to. The feed roller I was using had quite a distinctive mark so I didn’t mark anything.
5. Once the metal casing is ready, fit the new hosing in. Mine was quite a tight fit: trial and error got me to the next step:
6. Sit your piece upright and use the hammer to tap the rubber as much as you can: I got to the point I was hammering the end of the metal bit and didn’t want to damage it – so tap it gently.
7. The last centimeter to fit I found was the hardest and I’ll try to explain it the best I can. Fold the rag into quarters or eights to save your work bench. Stand the metal casing on it’s bum end so the new rubber piece should be on the top. Now, grab the hammer and turn your it to the nail removing wedge side. Try to estimate a fit along the length of wedge where you’re holding the center metal piece upright and that it would fit in the wedge. The rubber hosing will then be in contact with the hammer, and the metal casing in the void of the wedge. Hold that in place and don’t let go. Raise the metal piece and the hammer and tap the whole thing onto your work surface/floor. The hammer should shove the rubber right in!
8. The rubber will be “scrunched up” so just roll it along the work surface until it is even and flat. Put the piece back into its rightful place and give it a spin. Adjust where needed.

Hopefully it helps.


The recovered feed roller! I went on replacing the paper bail pieces too.

You might be wondering about the fluro straws. Straws? Yes, I tried straws. I tried quite a few methods of trying to fit the new rubber but they of course failed!
I tried:
1. The Bare Hands Shove. Just elbow grease.
2. The Twist. The twist and push action helped but didn’t get me too far, the debris gummed up the end.
3. The Straw. Using a cut piece of a plastic straw to “piggyback” the rubber piece onto the metal rod. In my mind it would slide in really easily but in reality it got SO STUCK I had to chop the piece up.
4. The Big Freeze. Freezing the metal rod was a good idea, but patience and the Darwin heat got the better of me.
5. The Air Compressor. I remember watching the bike repair guy when I was young putting new handles on a BMX. He blasted the handles off and blasted the new ones in. I only have a measly can of compressed air, so of course that didn’t work. I honestly think I should invest in a small air compressor.
6. The Double Bare Handed Shove. That’s right. Tried to be a hero and had both rubber pieces as far in as I could with The Twist then tried to make the last centimeter by holding each side with both hands and then pushing inwards by sheer shoving force.  (Like trying to break an egg in between my palms.) My hands were incredibly sore and sensitive after. Maybe a tiny bit swollen. Surely I looked like one of those weird gymmers with a constipated face, heaving the heaviest thing possible in the gym.
7. The Teflon Spray. As much as I love this magic in a spray can, it does not magically make rubber hosing slide into place.

Right! Hopefully this will save you time and pains in your hands.. though I can’t help if the cutter is silly and decides to take a bite from your finger. Very ouchie.

Oh, if you’re wondering about  the readings in my typecast I decided to put it to the next post ;)
Okay, time to stop,and blame Thor 2 for being too awesome.
Thanks for reading guys!

Typecast written on Blimey, 1930 Royal Model P with fresh rubber pieces.
P.S. All content on this blog, unless stated otherwise, is copyright Nat T. of natslaptaps.


  1. Haha ha! Using my technique before I’ve published it! Cheeky.
    Looks good though. Glad my idea wasn’t a total waste. Although, I do have a better idea on how to get them on.


  2. Great tips, thanks. I have countless ‘flatties’ which I should get around to – just need to stumble on the right size tubing. My tip for forcing the rubber on? Try heating it by immersing in really scalding hot water. It makes it pliable and wet, so slides easier onto metal. Also, the bare metal needs to be really, really clean.


  3. Those new feed rollers look really good! I’m not yet up to removing a platen yet. The ones on my typewriters are still acceptable, if not perfect. Anyhoo, I doubt rubber hosing of the right size is available over here. We’re just not a DIY nation…sigh


Commence Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s